Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland
The oldest and largest Protestant fraternity in Scotland
Orangeism arrived in Scotland almost immediately following the formation of the Orange Order in the aftermath of the battle of the Diamond in 1795. The first known Lodge warrant is believed to have been brought to Scotland by demobilised soldiers returning from Ireland where they had been engaged in the suppression of the 1798 Rebellion of the United Irishmen.
Lodges quickly formed, and Orangeism soon spread from coast to coast resulting in the need for a senior ruling body to coordinate the many Lodges and Districts and to administer the affairs of this fledgling Institution.
This came in many titles such as the Grand Protestant Confederation, Grand Protestant Association of Loyal Orangemen of Great Britain, Grand Lodge of Great Britain, Grand Protestant Association of Loyal Orangemen of Scotland and finally the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland. This was formed in 1853 under the leadership of Bro. Dr. Robert Clements, Most Worthy Grand Master.
Following a disagreement, the Orange Order split in 1871. Several Districts joined the Loyal Orange Institution of Great Britain before reconciling in 1876 and merging with the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland to form the Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland. This title remains to this present day.
The Orange Order has now been part of Scottish life and culture for over 200 years. We remain a well-established organisation, an integral part of Scottish society and our communities. With a new focus and direction, and a growing membership, the Order remains as buoyant and as relevant as it was when it was formed over 200 years ago.